The news is by your side.

South Sudan: Gunmen Attack Machar’s Military Camp, Kill Five

“We don’t know who attacked, but a force came and attacked, burnt houses, and killed five of us,” Lam told local radio Tamazuj.

Gunmen have attacked and torched a cantonment site for forces allied to South Sudan vice president Riek Machar, a military official said.

Sudan People’s Liberation Army in Opposition deputy spokesperson Col. Lam Paul Gabriel said unidentified armed men on Monday morning raided their camp in  Lowereng in Kapoeta South County in Eastern Equatoria State killing five soldiers.

“We don’t know who attacked, but a force came and attacked, burnt houses, and killed five of us,” Lam told local radio Tamazuj.

The group is calling on the Joint Defense Board (JDB), a coalition of security officials from all parties in the 2018 revitalized peace agreement to expeditiously form a committee to investigate the matter on the ground and find out who is responsible for the attack.

Parties are yet to unify and deploy armed forces. Last week, the unity government says it is financially constrained to complete the implementation of the security arrangements that include training and unification of both government and opposition soldiers.

Stephen Par Kuol, minister of peacebuilding said they are financially constrained to complete implementation of the security arrangements that include training and unification of both government and opposition soldiers.

“The transitional security arrangement is being implemented with all the difficulties that we know mainly due to shortage of funds. Implementation of the security arrangement is a huge operation that requires a huge sum of money which we do not have,” Kuol told journalists in Juba.

President Salva Kiir and his five deputies in February promised to graduate the first batch of the expected 83,000 unified forces by the end of March but this has not yet been realized.